The focus was on the main body section of this page. I've zoomed in here. The description was a good example of content being written as an afterthought. It had been that way for a long time.
- I probed on whether ‘Edit Content’ made sense as the title? Maybe “Course Outline” was more accurate?
- The description line was verbose with many inline links. Do we need all of that?
- Where would the CTA go?
Making it clear, concise and informative
There was a lot of pushback regarding changing the title from “Edit content”. It was difficult to find alignment on what the new title should be. But, I could get agreement to simplify the description.
- We only needed to say what you can do here. And refer them to our resource center for more info if needed.
Early iteration— Minimal CTAs
As an exercise to find the simplest possible solution (as it is sometimes the best), I tried some simple CTAs under the description.
- "Get Template" would be dropdown with options like ("Download .xlsx" or "Open in Google")
- "Import content from template" was long but I was emphasizing clarity in this version.
Test 1— Better CTAs
Pushing the design further, I knew we could do better than the minimal effort approach. There were two ways to build, the current manual way or the new import way. They should both be presented so they were immediately recognized as actions to be taken next. The text needed to make the choices clear. We tested this with our in-house experts.
- I wrote the import option to show its value as the time-saving option. Internal feedback was that it was perhaps too salesy. Authors should already have used it by now. However, those who weren't yet aware might learn of it here and use the template next time.
- I wrote the manual option for clarity around how it worked.
- Resource links were added for both. Again, clear, but perhaps a bit long.
- The dropdown options were moved below the import CTA.
Test 2— More clear and concise. This version launched.
We landed on a cleaner, more concise version of the side by side design. It performed well in usability testing with real course authors and we stayed with it for the launch.
- In the import section, links were combined. "Get the template" went to a page that had both information and the download link.
- We went with "Import content" over "Import template" as CTA copy. This was a topic of debate with the team. What was really being imported? The template or the content? It's both. We went with content here for consistency with the page title "Edit Content."
Follow up version
Given the opportunity to follow up on the design as we incorporated a new design system, I made some revisions to clean up the language and go for more for consistency and clarity.
- Our resource center got a new name, so that was updated from "Partner" to "Educator"
- I removed "new" from the import icon
- I changed the import section title to "Import from template" so it conflicted less with the description copy and was a little clearer about what was being imported.
- I removed the word "Coursera" from the description as it felt unnecessary.
- Two links were included: "course template" went to a download page, and "Learn more" went to a newly written resource article.
- Changing the CTA copy to "Start import" set expectations clearly while avoiding confusion on whether the template or content was being imported.